Friday, July 11, 2014

A Day In The Life: Today, I missed My Flight

This is only the second time in life that I've missed a flight. I got to work at 6:45 a.m. this morning. I asked a coworker who lives near the airport to take me to the airport. We were supposed to leave at 4:30 p.m. She got a client email, then we were supposed to leave at 4:45 p.m. I had something to do and we weren't in the car and rolling until 5 p.m.

My flight to Chicago was at 6:35 p.m. I had a conference call for some nonprofit work I'm doing at 5 p.m., so I hop on that. They don't hop on the phone to 5:10 p.m. Go figure.

So then at about mm... 5:20 p.m. my coworker says "I don't know what to do." She pulls over to the side of the road and I think we're getting pulled over by the cops. I'm like what's happening. She says the car's dash said her car was overheating and to pull over.

Lucky for her, I've been in hoopties before (Her has is only 2 years old, though). I'm like roll down the windows and turn on the heat. But she didn't REALLY believe me and turned it on 2 instead of 4 and it still overheated.

So she called roadside assistance. I called the cab company. The cab company can't come pick you up on the side of the road. They need an address.

So she blasts the heat and we post up at Giant Eagle Market District in Robinson. I call the cab company, tell them I'm at Giant Eagle by Ridge Road. They rattle off some address on Centre Avenue and I think to myself, I didn't know Centre ran through the suburbs, but I confirm. They send the guy.

I spend 10 smooth minutes on the phone with this dude talking about he doesn't know where the drive through pharmacy is and he can't find me. Come to find out, the Giant Eagle I was at was NOT on Centre Avenue. This is what happens when local companies outsource their dispatch. Someone from Pittsburgh would have know that Ridge Road and Robinson have nothing to do with Centre. I didn't even know and I've been here for a year and a half.

Anywho, I call another cab. The lady on the phone goes: think positive thoughts. I crack up laughing.

My coworker's bf told her to put water in the antifreeze thing, so she buys some distilled water and we roll to the airport. We get back in the car and my coworker's gas tank is on E. She's on edge and I'm coolin'. She gets gas and we head to the airport. I get there at about 6:15 p.m. When I check in the flight attendant's like "I should be able to get you to Chicago tonight through a late night in Baltimore." I was down.

I have work to do. I have blogs to write. I have news and blogs to catch up on. I could use a night in the airport.

No such fortune. So I have a flight to Chicago tomorrow at 7:20 a.m., arriving in the Chi at 7:55 a.m. (or something like that).

I hopped on the bus and came back home. 

1 comment:

Grady Mann said...

It looked like it wasn’t a good day to you. Having car troubles is definitely not a good scenario, especially when you’re catching a flight. That’s why it’s always best to contact a cab service to bring you to the airport. It seems like less of a hassle, because even if you have car troubles along the way, the company will immediately send a relief cab, no questions asked. I hope you were able to go to Chicago without any fuss after this incident!

Grady Mann @ Downtown Yellow Taxi in Saint Petersburg